Ghosts of the River Bend

Kathleen Walls
September 30, 2013
Ghosts of the River Bend
The Mineral Springs Hotel began with two brothers, August and Herman Luer. They were successful German businessmen who planned to build an ice house and cold storage facility on the site of their meat packing plant. In 1909, while workman were drilling a well, they discovered an underground spring. The spring smelled of sulfur and, after testing, was believed to have medicinal powers. The brothers changed course in mid-stream so to speak, and built a luxurious hotel and spa with a water bottling plant on the lowest level. Advertisements for the hotel claimed "largest swimming pool in Illinois." The brothers also claimed the best dining and miracle cures from the mineral water.
Read The Full Post:
http://americanroads.net/Ghost_trails_Fall2013.htm

More From Kathleen Walls